Thursday, August 4, 2011

Controlling our Hope (Part 1 of 2)

I hope I make a difference.
I hope my marriage thrives.
I hope my kids love Jesus.
I hope to provide for my family.
I hope people like me.
I hope to enjoy life.
I hope tragedy doesn’t strike those close to me.
I hope my neck stops hurting.
I hope it rains.
I hope my car will work when I turn the key.
I hope to have more kids.
I hope our economy will strengthen.
I hope.
I hope.
I hope. 

“Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.” -1Pe. 1:13

Hope.  Fully.  Those words rise from the page as I read this verse.  How many different things is my hope in?  How many things, even good things, do I hope for because I want them to come true.  Yes, it is a good thing to want to make a difference.  But is that a hope I have because of what I want?  Or is it a hope that overflows from a hope that is fully on Jesus Christ?  How would my life look if my hope were fully on the grace that is to come?  How would it be different?  Why am I so far from that? 

All these little hopes seem harmless, but in the end focus my attention and energy away from the sovereign plan of God.  Why do I hope it rains?  If God wanted it to rain, it would rain.  So why not, instead, hope in God through the drought.  Hope that He will accomplish his purposes through this.  I believe that as we are swept away by the greatness and beauty of who God is and what He has done, that our lives will be changed.  It is not trying harder, doing this or that, or learning more that will transform us into who we are called to be.  We need to hope in Christ.  Fully.  Everything else will work itself out though that hope.      

No comments:

Post a Comment