Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sharing in the Death & Resurrection (Part 2 of 3)

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.  The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the son of God, who loved me and gave himself up for me.” Gal. 2:20

Several years ago, Saddam Hussein, the former Iraqi president, was captured, tried, and hung.  He was killed for his terrorist activity and violence to other humans.  Can he run Iraq anymore?  Absolutely not!  It isn’t just improbable, it is impossible because he is dead.  Even though he cannot rule the country, his violence, policies, and ideas can still be lived out by people within the country and world.  People can act like Saddam still reigns, but truth be told: he doesn’t and can’t reign again. 

Before Christ changed you, sin reigned.  It was sin that ruled your heart, guided you, and had the power.  But upon belief, something happened to sin.  Sin has been killed, which means sin no longer reigns.  We may at times try to act like it reigns, like people did with Saddam, but we must know that it isn’t just improbable that sin will reign, it is impossible. Christ conquered the power of sin, so that what reigns now is Christ.  The power that sin had on us has been nailed to the cross, has died, and was buried.  Christ is now the power in us.  Christ reigns.  Christ gets the last say.  Learn to obey the one who truly reigns instead of listening to the silent whispers of the one whose reign has been forever conquered.   
 
 “Because of my union with Christ, because I have died with him, because I have been buried with him, because I have been risen again, I am dead to sin as a realm and reign, I have finished with it, it has nothing to do with me.” -Dr. Martyn Lloyd Jones   

No comments:

Post a Comment