Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Your Mind is a Sponge (Part 1)

"The average adult who spends 50 hours a year in a pew will also spend 2,000 hours at home watching television" –Brian Chapel in "Christ Centered Preaching"

This quote was given to make preachers aware of what they are up against.  The people we preach to spend 100 times more time in front of a TV than a preacher, which makes a preachers job an uphill fight.

I truly believe we are heavily influenced and guided by what we fill our minds with.  If I am watching TV shows filled with drama, I will be more likely to cause or find it myself.  If I am listening to rap music filled with cursing and sexual imagery, my mouth will begin to swear more and my mind will become more sexual corrupt.  If I am reading financial magazines all the time, my mind will often be concerned or think about what to do with my own finances.  If I am hanging out with certain people a lot, I will begin to act or talk like them (teenagers are a perfect example of this). The truth is, we think and act like what we fill our minds with.  We cannot avoid this, but we can do something about it.

So what are the implications we should draw from this?  That is where we will go tomorrow, but for now I want you to ask yourself:
What is the primary thing I am feeding my mind?  What things I am listening to, people I am hanging out with, or things I am doing that are affecting me negatively?  

No comments:

Post a Comment